Flackwell Heath 3 Shrivenham 2

Shrivvy crash out of Senior Cup.

Shrivenham suffered defeat at Wilks Park yesterday evening [Tuesday October 8, 2019] as the two Uhlsport Hellenic Premier League sides battled it out in the preliminary Round of the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup.

In a sign of things to come, Marcus Ushiro-Lumb rattled the bar after his 25-yarder tested the Shrivvy defence early on before Macauley Dodson had an effort blocked at the other end with 17-minutes gone.

The home side then saw a string of opportunities denied, when Kahlid Zakaria Simmo saw his effort go wide 8-minutes later before Dan Lawrence was called in to action to make a fantastic flying save from the same player with 33-minutes on the clock.

In truth, Shrivenham had little to offer in terms of attack in the first period, and their hosts finally broke the deadlock 5-minutes before the intermission after an initial error from Lawrence saw him follow up with two good blocks, but he could do nothing to stop the third after the ball eventually fell to Ushiro-Lumb, who made no mistake with his resulting effort.

While the goal had been coming, the second was perhaps a little harsh on the visitors, however a lively Simmo will disagree given the effort he had put in during the opening period and just before the whistle, he managed to beat the sluggish Shrivenham defence once again and find the bottom corner to double his sides lead.

With much work needed after the break, young Zac Skinner – who was making his first senior start, made way for the slightly more experienced Alfie Griggs to help firm up the D.

Antonio Gerrish had an early long range effort saved before Lewis Petrie saw his long range effort well saved on 50-minutes before the home side were forced to change Jack Taylor for Simeon Weekes on the 55-minute mark.

On 66-minutes, Tyler Gregory came on for Brandon Eaton as Shrivenham were beginning to cause more of a threat, but it was to little avail as Shrivvy finally broke their duck three minutes later when Jack Allan went around Aaron Watkins and slotted the ball home.

The visitors continued to press – as they had to if they were going to get anything from the tie, however that played directly in to Flackwell’s plans and after Lawrence couldn’t hold a good ball from Josh Baines, Weekes was on hand to make it three with 72-minutes gone.

To their credit, Shrivenham continued to press and Allan was brought down in the box soon after the restart, but a rare miss from the resulting spot kick – which he managed to put wide – summed up the way things were going and Flackwell’s two goal lead was upheld.  

With ten remaining, Brad Hirst came on for Allan with one eye on the weekend, while the home side swapped Spencer Allen who was replaced by Ben Vicos.

With five minutes remaining, Kieran Sutton replaced Dodson 3-1 and after Lawrence kept the score line the same following a tip on to the post at 90-minutes, Hirst managed to force a Steve Robertson cross home for his opening senior goal of the season in injury time before the referee blew up to bring the game to a conclusion.

Shrivenham Man of the Match:  Antonio Gerrish