Shrivenham 2 Tuffley Rovers 3

First half costs Shrivvy the points.

Shrivenham boss Gareth Davies drafted in Supermarine forward Brad Gray head of Tuesday evenings clash against Tuffley Rovers, while Dan Reynolds continued his recovery from injury with a call up to the bench having featured for the Development side at the weekend in their defeat at Highworth, but a sloppy first half ultimately cost them the points as they fell to a 3-2 home defeat against their visitors.

A quick start from Tuffley saw August Player of the Month Dan Lawrence, called in to action early doors, however with their sustained assault on the Shrivvy backline unwavering, it took just 6-minutes until the opener was registered.

Sloppy defending meant that Ross Langworthy found his fierce effort found the back of the net – getting the visitors off to a perfect start.

Disappointingly, and rather uncharacteristically for the home side, their first real effort on target took until 15-minutes to materialise when they won a corner. A fantastic floated in ball was met by the head of Gray, but he saw his effort cleared off the line.

6-minutes later however, Shrivenham were back on level terms.  Luke Cordery produced a brilliant cross which was met by the head of top-scorer Jack Allan, who converted the ball home with a beautiful effort.

The game continued to flow from end-to-end and Shrivvy grew in confidence and with chances for both sides, Tom Ballard had a shot well saved but it was more poor defending that gave Tuffley the advantage when Brett James was allowed to tap home on 33-minutes to restore his sides lead and when Langworthy was tripped inside the box on 39-minutes, he dusted himself down to slot home the resulting spot kick.

Shrivenham made the break with lots to do in the second half, but the visitors – who were previously without a league win, showed little sign of giving up and were narrowly denied a fourth when a free-kick span off the post with 55-minutes on the clock.  Ollie Rejek came on for Liam Edmondson (70 minutes) as Davies opted for a more attacking formation and Ballard made way for Josh Morse (74 minutes) and the side managed to grab one back with ten minutes remaining when Rejek opened his Shrivenham account, poking home from a Nick Stanley header and the home side almost grabbed an equaliser two minutes later, but after being put clean through, Antonio Gerrish saw his effort go wide and moments later Gray also saw an effort fly wide of the mark and a much improved second half came to a close with a draw agonisingly evading the players efforts.

Shrivenham:  Dan Lawrence, Macauley Dodson, Matt Horsell, Sam Ockwell ©, Liam Edmondson (Ollie Rejek 1), Nick Stanley, Antonio Gerrish, Luke Cordery, Jack Allan 1, Brad Gray & Tom Ballard (Josh Morse).  Sub:  Dan Reynolds & Mike Alexander (GK).

Tuffley Rovers:  Alex Avenell, Issac Lawrence, Ben Prictor, Tyreece Briscoe, Macauley Herbert ©, Mark Pritchett, Dom Kent, Paul Carter, Brett James 1, Ross Langworthy 2 (1p) & Warren Mann.  Sub (TBC):  Niall Priday, Harri John, Dec Earwaker & Luke Merchant. 

Shrivenham MotM:  Luke Cordery

Attendance:  TBC


0-1 – Ross Langworthy (6 min)

1-1 – Jack Allan (21 min)

1-2 – Brett James (33 min)

1-3 – Ross Langworthy (penalty – 40 min)

2-3 – Ollie Rejek (80 min)

League Position after Game 5:  10th (down from 8th)