Shrivenham 0 Chalfont St Peter AFC 2

Shrivvy bow out of FA Cup.

Shrivenham began a six game homestand with defeat as their FA Cup journey came to an end against their higher league opposition.

Despite a bright opening period – which saw Nick Stanley and Jamie Prictor denied in quick succession on the second minute by an in-form Michael Anguzum and the straight dismissal of Jordan Payne four minutes later when he prevented Stanley from breaking through on goal, the visitors’ higher skill levels ultimately paid dividends in the second half.

Following the dismissal, Stanley saw another chance go begging as Anguzum produced another class save from his effort before he squandered his fourth chance – poking a shot just wide with 13-minutes gone.

It was almost as if the Footballing Gods were smiling on our visitors on 25-minutes when Stanley was sent to the ground for a penalty shout – but the referee waved protests away and on 36-minutes when he finally had the ball in the back of the net, the goal was ruled off-side much to the disappointment of the home fans and the interval arrived with a good battle and Shrivvy more than holding their own.

A big half was needed by both sides in the second period – and that where the visitors superior level paid off.

Despite being a man down, they began on the offensive – calling Dan Lawrence in to action early doors and after a great save with his leg, there was little he could do with the visitors second foray on goal just a minute later, as a slow long throw evaded everyone except Sodike Thompson who netted from close in with 48 minutes on the clock.

With the ship rocked, the visitors went for the jugular and a deflection from a 50-50 ball involving Sean Giordmaina five minutes later, flew over Lawrence and being so close to the goal line, there was nothing Liam Edmondson could do to hook the ball away and it nestled in to the back of the net for number 2.

Shrivvy managed to compose themselves soon after and began to dig deep.   Ollie Rejek came on for Josh Morse who suffered a cut to his head on 65-minutes, before Luke Cordery replaced Scott Chilcott three minutes later as the home side looked to strengthened their attack and that decision almost paid dividends when Prictor was brought down inside the box and a penalty was awarded on 73-minutes, however a rare miss from the spot by Nathan Blackford summed up Shrivenham’s lack of luck on the day and the score remained the same.

Alex Stanley replaced brother Nick with 10-minutes of normal time remaining, and with five minutes of injury time added on, Rejek saw a chance denied by a good save from Anguzum and as the referee blew for time, Shrivvy entered the changing rooms feeling frustrated at what might have been – but they should also feel contented with their performance against their decent and skilful Isthmian opposition.  


Shrivenham:  Dan Lawrence, Scott Chilcott (Luke Cordery, Matt Horsell, Sam Ockwell ©, Liam Edmondson, Jamie Prictor, Nathan Blackford, Nick Stanley (Alex Stanley),  Josh Morse (Ollie Rejek), Antonio Gerrish & Tom Ballard.  Sub:  Mike  Alexander (GK)


Chalfont St Peter:  Michael Anguzum, Ricky Brennan, Luke Elliott, Danny Wickenden (Callum Doyle), Jordan Payne (SO), Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway, Sodike Thompson, Andre Odetola, David Pitt (Sean Giordmaina), Luke Jones & Kahlil Francis (Zayd Ait-Fahim).  Sub:  Luke Massingham, Ben Gray, Luke Illsley & Harry Bailey.



0-1 – Sodike Thompson (48 min)

0-2 – Sean Giordmaina (53 min)


Shrivenham MotM:  Jamie Prictor


Attendance:  27