FINAL | Shrivenham 1 Holmer Green 1

Shrivvy suffer goal at the death to force replay.

Hopes were high as the sun shone down on the Barrington Park pitch ahead of kick off, as the first of this seasons home fixtures finally got underway on Saturday afternoon – but just like the windy conditions brought in the rain, Shrivenham’s hopes were left dashed as they conceded a late, late equaliser in the cup.

The home side began the brighter of the two teams, however the first real chance of the game didn’t come around until the 10-minute mark, when the lively Tom Ballard forced Ian Pykett in to a superb block – followed up a short time later with another great effort – but sadly – again equalled by the resulting save.

Ballard went close six minutes later after Ryan Stanners had put him through, before captain Sam Ockwell saw his effort saved from the resulting corner.

The break through however, finally came in the 26th minute.  Stanners produced another superb cross and this time Ballard made no mistake with a header at the back post – to give the home side a thoroughly deserved lead.

Following the goal, Shrivvy remained in control, but failed to step up a gear and by the time the half time whistle sounded, supporters were left hoping that they wouldn’t be left to rue their missed opportunities in what had been a thoroughly entertaining half, despite the windy conditions.

The second half was a totally different affair.

Although both sides had to settle more in to the worsening conditions – showers were beginning to sweep in, it was the visitors who had the lion’s share of the ball as well as possession and with the home side virtually camped in their own half, Assistant Manager Alex Stanley replaced Aaron Dainton – who looked to have picked up a knock with 61-minutes on the clock, but the game continued to be niggly and by the time Lewis Petrie came on for Ballard (70-minutes), Shrivvy were facing an uphill battle to get a foothold back in the match.

Despite Holmer failing to deliver the final ball on several occasions, another amazing save from a Petrie effort with 12-minutes to go would have been harsh on the visitors for all their second-half gusto.

In truth, Petrie’s effort was a rare moment for the home team after the break as Holmer continued to press for the lifeline their performance certainly deserved and with Shrivvy hanging on, in the now terrible conditions, Josh Morse looked to have dealt a final blow when he produced a cracking effort with three minutes remaining, however Pykett produced another outstanding save to keep his side in it, before his side delivered the killer blow they deserved.

A minute later, Ockwell was bundled over near his own penalty area right in front of the assistant referee, but his efforts to stay on his feet went unrewarded and Stanley could only mistime his tackle giving the officials no question but to award a free kick about 21-yards out.

A two-man wall was set up well, but the resulting wind-assisted effort beat Mike Alexander and was met by delight by the travelling supporters and players alike.

Despite the blow, Stanley almost restored Shrivenham’s lead on the stroke of full-time with a great header, but it was well caught by Pykett and both sides will meet again – hopefully in better conditions on Tuesday night [13.-8.19] where the result will be decided.


Shrivenham:  Mike Alexander, Nathan Blackford, Matt Horsell, Sam Ockwell ©, Aaron Dainton (Alex Stanley), Liam Edmondson, Jamie Prictor, Ollie Rejek, Ryan Stanners, Josh Morse & Tom Ballard 1 (Lewis Petrie).  Subs:  Rob Hendry & Dan Lawrence (GK).


Holmer Green:  Ian Pykett, Luke Ryll, Martin Lancaster, Ben Booker, Ryan Parsons, Kyle Bestley, Harrison Holbrook, Matt Wooster ©, Olly LynchLiam Griffin & Alex Rice.  Subs (TBC):  Alex McDonald, Bailey Page,  Luke Williams & Adam Riley.  *Goal scorer TBC.



1-0 – Tom Ballard (26 min)

1-1 - TBC (88 min)


Shrivenham MotM:  Jamie Prictor


Attendance:  38